Friday, September 9, 2011

Charity Knitting


I spent many hours of August knitting for charity. The Knitter's of the North Knitter's Guild in Anchorage, Alaska chooses 3 projects a year (plus numerous ongoing projects) and we knit items for charity. This year has been blankets for the dogs at the Animal Shelter and hats, scarves and mittens for the kids on the Kenai Peninsula. The latter is being distributed as part of the Toys for Tots campaign. I knit an entire set earlier, but so few mittens were done that I decided to knit as many pairs as possible during the final month. Well, between other projects, school and life I managed 8 pair. They are due tomorrow, so I don't have time for any more and I will need some help with the final touches, but I figure every pair of hands I keep warm is a pair of hands to be proud of. I think for future charity knitting if mittens are requested I will stick with them. They don't take that long to make and so few members seem willing to do them.

2 comments:

  1. What a kind thing to do, we do this over here too, I don´t belong to a Knitter´s Guild but sometime I take part in knitting for them. I think knitting mittens and socks are so great because you can make not just one pair but many - they are so quick in progress - if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete